Thursday, June 17, 2010

Man as compared to Schrodinger's cat

Dear friends, I was asked today whether I consider myself a lover or a fighter,  I say I am both.  Folly you say?  "No," I say. I subscribe to the principle of duality.  "What the fuck is that?" you say?  Let my homeboy Schrödinger explain:

One can even set up quite ridiculous cases to explain the theory. Let's say a cat is trapped in a steel chamber, along with the following device (which must be secured against direct interference by the cat): in a Geiger counter, there is a tiny bit of radioactive substance, so small that perhaps in the course of the hour, one of the atoms decays, but also, with equal probability, perhaps none; if it happens, the counter tube discharges, and through a relay releases a hammer that shatters a small flask of hydrocyanic acid. If one has left this entire system to itself for an hour, one would say that the cat still lives if meanwhile no atom has decayed. The psi-function of the entire system would express this by having in it the living and dead cat (pardon the expression) mixed or smeared out in equal parts.

     For a while, the cat is both alive AND dead.  Its only when you check the box that you remove one of the two possibilites.  Man is BOTH good AND evil.  Its only when faced with certian situations that we become one or the other.  The truth of the matter is that we choose what we want to be, and nothing happens until we choose.  In the famous Schrodinger experiment, nothing happens untill WE revoe the lid and eliminate one of the 2 possibillities. 

In the end, I come to the conclusion that essentially, I am a lover until I need to be a fighter, and a fighter until I get to some loving.  I am a lover, but I like to fight so don;t get any ideas.

The Raving Lunatic

No comments: